Thursday, April 8, 2010

house renovations

"They're banging my house down" says Lilah. And she isn't far from wrong.

Our house is almost 100 years old; it's an urban, semi-detached, 3 storey house with a postage stamp backyard and we absolutely love it. We love the house, we love the neighbourhood and we love that we are within walking distance to so much: Grocery shops, coffee shops, book shops, toy shops, clothes shops, antique shops, restaurants, a library, a swimming pool, an ice rink, etc. It's so perfect. We renovated the 2nd and 3rd levels of our house five years ago and now it's time for the ground floor to be renovated. The insulation is dreadful and the rooms are all sectioned off. We decided we wanted it a little more open plan and a lot more airtight, to better handle our freezing winters and hot summers!

Did I mention I dislike dust? ...with a vengeance?

If Lilah could write her name, she'd be doing it in the layer of dust on our leather couch right now!

house reno - first level

house reno - first level

5 comments:

  1. Renovations are never fun, but so worth it in the end! At least it doesn't disrupt the rooms you currently live in! I can hardly wait to see the after pictures...

    I also LOVE the blog redo. It is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you the dust!! AHHHHHH.... DON'T LIKE IT ONE BIT.

    Can't wait to see your renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate dust, too, it makes me insane. It will be worth it in the end, though. I hope you'll post pictures of what you've been up to. It looks like you've got some pretty ambitious projects in the works.

    Gin =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! It'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as the bathroom or kitchen aren't being renovated it is doable in my experience. Is your kitchen on the ground floor? Washing dishes in the bath tub is no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete