Sunday, January 12, 2014

skating on the rideau canal!

I took Phebe skating on the canal this morning, while Lilah was at school. But of course, that 'mother guilt' (that comes along with the job!) would not even let me dream of neglecting my big girl!

So, I surprised her. When she came out the front doors of school, I told her I had a surprise for her, and I let her peek into the bag that contained her skates. Excited much??!! Her screams and jumping for joy may have woken the neighbourhood and had a few parents look in our direction and wonder what on earth had just happened! Lilah, my sweet girl, just loves her skating lessons, and she is always desperate to have extra ice-time and put her skills to good use! She's skating forwards (fast!), backwards, stopping, turning around. I'm really impressed with her skills, especially this past term, I've noticed she's made huge strides in her learning.

Oh, and if you watch the movie below, remember, skating on the canal is not like skating on a nice smooth rink, there are a few more bumps and chunks of ice that can easily trip you up! And you will also quickly note, that videography is not my strong suit! Ha!

skating on the rideau canal - afternoon skating on the rideau canal - afternoon

*********************************************************************


When I was putting the girls skates on, a very kind lady came over and insisted on taking a photograph of us together!
I appreciated it, I should really get into more pictures with my girls.

skating on the rideau canal - afternoon

I also went out and bought another hockey helmet that evening, now that we have two skaters in the house!
The bike helmet Phebe is wearing here is definitely not the best safety helmet for the ice.

4 comments:

  1. How great is Lilah at skating?? I always marvel at the way kids have no fear when trying something new, we could take a lesson from them on that!
    Lovely pic of all 3 Meaklim girls, I agree - I never get a chance to be in front of the camera either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she REALLY is good! How exciting it must be to see her become so comfortable on the ice. Way to go, Lilah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at Lilah go!!!! I'm sure Phebe won't be far behind her.

    We couldn't pass up the opportunity to have the kids ice skate in Central Park when we were in New York City last winter. Caleb absolutely loved it.

    And I agree with Debbie. It's nice to see all 3 of you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo of the three of you! You are so lucky to have such a beautiful place to skate.

    ReplyDelete