Saturday, May 5, 2012

national gallery of canada

national art gallery

This morning Lilah and I went downtown to the National Gallery of Canada.

I've been meaning to take her to the art gallery for a while and I'd seen advertisements for Van Gogh's art coming, so I was super excited and blurted out to Lilah that we should go to the art gallery to see Van Gogh's art. Of course, I only learned when I went online (after the blurting part!), that Van Gogh's art isn't actually coming until the end of May. Anyhow, I had already spoken the word and even tempted her with the idea that there would be a craft, so there was no backtracking for me!

As we were leaving the house, Lilah ran back in, saying she'd forgotten something and came back out with her binoculars dangling around her neck - they definitely set the precedent for the day! The gallery in itself is an incredible state-of-the-art building and the inside is fabulous. I have to admit, my favourite part was the Chapel inside the building, there was recorded music and singing - it was very powerful - I felt a real sense of calm and peace standing there listening. Lilah on the other hand, had her fingers in her ears, telling me it was too loud! Her favourite part was the craft, of course! Today they were making butterflies with a type of tie-dye. Basically they had this special textured paper that absorbs water, you coloured on it with markers and then painted over it with water, which created a tie-dye effect. Lilah really enjoyed it.

It was a fun day, filled with the warmth of Spring - we went to the Gallery, had crepes for lunch and did a spot of downtown shopping. Just the perfect relaxing Saturday. Ahhh, I wish there were more Saturdays in the week!

5 comments:

  1. What a great mummy/daughter day.........Gracie would have been running up and down being noisy and dancing! Just wait until you have Phebe in tow, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jill, this seems like a perfect Saturday to me!

    lea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that first shot! Well, I love all of them really. Sounds like a fun and relaxing Saturday.

    Gin =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous06 May, 2012

    A perfect Saturday! Lilah growing up surrounded by cultural tours * - * lucky girl!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome day!

    I just found your blog from this week's Favorite Photo Friday link up, and I'm delighted to be here. I love your images.

    ReplyDelete